The Erie Soil and Water Conservation District (SWCD) became the 84th District in Ohio in 1953, established for the purpose of protecting, preserving, and restoring the natural resources in our area. The District was organized under the State of Ohio, Revised Code 1515 (now ORC 940), governed by a board of five supervisors, elected by the landowners of Erie County, with each supervisor serving a three-year term.
Erie County, one of nine coastal counties in the State of Ohio, is comprised of approximately 169,000 acres. The main objectives of the District are to minimize or prevent soil erosion, improve the water quality of our rivers, lakes, streams and groundwater supply, and restore or preserve valuable wildlife habitat. This is accomplished through the various programs that promote the wise use of agricultural and urbanizing lands.
Cooperation with the District is on a voluntary basis. Any landowner needing our assistance in the effort to address natural resource concerns on their property may contact our office. Along with our partnering agencies, the District’s resolve is to educate, coordinate, and implement the wise use of our natural resources through better land use planning and management.
Funding for the District is provided by the Erie County Commissioners, with additional financial assistance provided by Ohio Department of Agriculture, Division of Soil and Water Conservation.